Tuesday 19 April 2011

Sleep and slave

A beautiful sunny day slightly marred by the work thing. I love the sun, but gardening in it is not so much fun. Still, money has been earned and that is good. I know MT longs to go back to work but there is something very slavey about being out working outside whilst MT is at home. It seems sort of fitting, although sometimes I have to admit to feeling a bit jealous and sometimes even a little resentful (on the days I feel exhausted). Bad slave form I know but I never professed to being anything close to good let alone perfect :)

It just seems sort of right that I should go out and do hard labour and return with the days earnings. On the downside, because I get so tired it does have a negative impact on my ability to provide other services and also the tiredness often makes me niggly ( OK, to be honest often bloody irritable). Sometimes trying to stay awake is just too demanding and sleep overtakes everything.

I am, however, a light sleeper and wake at the slightest of noises most of the time. This is probably due to the many years of having to respond from sleep to emergency calls in the fire service. Once awake I really am wide awake and have great difficulty getting back to sleep and often get up and then stay up for several hours until tiredness overtakes me again. I then go back to bed and then can't wake up easily when it is time to get up. It is a cycle made even worse by the cluster headaches which often occur in the early hours.

MT is exceptionally patient with my night time manoeuvres, loo trips, sleeplessness and cluster headaches to name but a few.Fortunately I do not get punished/disciplined for these poor bedtime behaviours which is very fortuitous.

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorite words...fortuitous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi N,

    I also have a lot of that evening irritability. I don't think that's uncommon for more mature guys like us. I think this is a result of tiring more easily because you are older. Part of the challenge is to work out strategies for dealing with it. I'm sure that the rituals and protocols MT has set in place are comforting in those times because you both know what needs to be done even if you don't feel like it. And perfection in living it out is an ideal that you both strive for. MT must also have frustrations from the Owner side of the equation.

    Best,

    scott
    Mrs, Kelly's Playhouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the word fortuitous too, but what does it mean ?

    @scott I agree,age and tiredness seem to go hand in hand. Being irritable is something I just can't seem to control unfortunately, but I shall keep working away at it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? Maybe not getting enough sleep or deep enough sleep is what brings on the headaches? I know I get more headaches when I don't get enough/good sleep. Might be something you want to look into.

    Fortuitous is a good word. I like surreptitiously as well :D

    ReplyDelete