Monday 31 January 2011

I'm not a show dog, I'm a butchers dog.

MT was not well enough to go swimming today so I travelled off to the gym on my own. I had a fairly good workout but my back was more than just a tad painful, so it wasn't as hard as it should have been. I enjoy weight training, I find it a good way to relieve stress as well as to tone up. I find it so much harder these days to keep the weight down and to try to not look like a typical middle aged man.

Apart from anything else, I am required by MT to keep my body in good condition. This includes keeping my weight under a certain limit and keeping my body toned.....and of course the hair removal stuff. I also get regular body inspections, now I have to admit that even after nearly five years I really find this humiliating. I feel like one of those dogs at a dog show, where the judges look them all over, check their legs, tails, mouths, ears and arse etc and then give them a little pat before passing judgement.

After the gym, I was sent to do the food shop. I don't mind this too much, I am given a list and away I go. I am much better IMO, of sticking to a list than MT, she usually manages to find little extras to pick up, so my shopping tends to be a little cheaper, although a lot more boring.

After shopping, we went out together to a small town about 8 miles away for a mooch round and coffee. I left MT looking in a esoterica shop (not my scene) to go to the butchers. A very strange thing happened in the butchers, strange and a bit unnerving. The lad behind the counter, probably not far past his teens, popped a pack of bacon (which I had not asked for) into the bag of chicken breasts I had just handed him. As he did this, he smiled at me and gave me a big wink, I smiled back with one of those WTF type expressions.

I then asked him if they had any leaner steak than the ones on display. He replied he would go and find a fresh piece of beef and carve me some nice steaks. When he returned, with some excellent steaks, he winked again and gave me a very big smile. I smiled back, paid and left quickly. I am still unsure as to why he gave me the bacon and all of those winks, but MT has a theory which I found disconcerting and do not want to acknowledge. My Mum always told me to not to take things from strange men, I wonder if that included their meat ?

No comments:

Post a Comment