Wednesday 19 January 2011

St Valentines Day Massacre

I really dislike Valentines Day, no it's much much stronger than that, I fucking hate it. Each year I get stressed, pissed off and generally very morose and volatile as it approaches. The 14th February has been the most significant date in my year on a number of occasions, sometimes by choice I will admit, others due to others choices and some just random twists of fate.

So, here are my reasons for 'not liking it' :


  • My first serious girlfriend was born on Valentines Day and we got engaged on Valentines Day (we didn't make it to the altar).
  • My first wife and I separated on Valentines Day, very acrimoniously. She actually tried to kill me, on Valentines Day of course.
  • My second wife to be and I got engaged on Valentines day.
  • My second wife and I got married on Valentines Day.
  • My first child was born on Valentines Day. 18 months later I found out she was not mine and I was utterly devastated. This nearly destroyed me.
  • On the same day as she was born, my illicit girlfriend had a miscarriage at the same hospital. Obviously I am not proud of this part of my life.




It does not seem like a huge list in terms of number of 'incidents' but they were very significant, and every year as the date approaches my head starts to spin with thoughts and memories I really do not want to be there. I have always put my 'issues' in little boxes in my head, closed the lids, locked them and stored them away in the furthest corners of my mind. As the dreaded day approaches, they all seem to start appearing and opening up on their own. I rush from one to the other trying to shut, lock and store then away but it is always a lost cause and I get overwhelmed and chaos reigns terror in my head (and unfortunately for MT also often out of my head as well). After the date has passed, it is clean up time. This can take a while, eventually the boxes are all where they should be, but I always know they are there waiting in the shadows - there is always the next February. MT dreads February.

This year I decided, via this blog, to find them, open them and air them in advance, at the moment it is feeling ok. I am hoping this will help to make Valentines Day itself, the approach of it and it's departure a better place for me, my darling owner and the others around me.

Every year since I have been with MT this section of the year has been a very difficult time for us. However hard I have tried to avoid my mood becoming negative or destructive, I have failed to do this. I have also often kicked off at her, often quite spectacularly. None of this is MT's fault and she doesn't deserve to have a volatile slave making her miserable and on edge for this period every single year.

This year for the sake of my Owner, I am determined to not let it spoil our time together for the next few weeks this year.

This is a very self indulgent blog I know, but WTF, we all have our faults and demons, and I said I would be honest.

_______

On a brighter note, at lunchtime MT was still feeling poorly, so I was given the terrible task of giving her 'pain therapy' with the skinny cane. I love having a cane in my hand, it feels so natural.

I was hoping for a repeat tonight, but it was a case of Good News/ Bad News. The bad news is MT does not want any more 'therapy atm', Good News - she is feeling quite a bit better. Shit, best hide those canes quickly.

5 comments:

  1. Well, that list seems huge to me. New Year's Eve was my similiar "bad Holiday"...but nothing compared to your history with V-day. Good luck correcting the history this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Create a new ritual... a new custom. Do something totally new. Make it a different kind of day. Give a different energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got Valentine's Day and one small slave got Christmas... they look rather similar, well less marriage and babies, but no less traumatic. Either way you get surrounded by people who are indecently happy... and in your case eating chocolate. Chocolate that hasn't been licked. The bastards!

    As for the blog they are by their very nature self indulgent... besides it is less expensive than talk therapy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hawk, thanks, I need to sort it this year.

    @xantu, goog idea, tried it a few years ago, but will try again, thank you. Main problem is most of it gets re-lived while I am asleep. Controlling the awake bit is easier.

    @piece Thanks for your nice words, tried the 'talk therapy' it very nearly caused me to chuck myself off a cliff, took ages for ME to get over the counselling.

    Best wishes to you all N

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest one is not sure talk therapy works at all for some... too much revisiting and not enough packing away :(

    ReplyDelete